this would feel surreal enough even if 2020 wasn’t all that it has (and hasn’t) been. hard to know when a good time is for anything anymore. but maybe this just means that now is more important than ever.
even before everything changed, i’d promised myself to be less closed for album #4’s release than #3’s, which was a man whispering, “it’s out” into an envelope before sealing it and running away to a wild place…with the envelope in his pocket. so here’s the first installment of keeping that promise:
1. #4 is a double album. 22 songs at this moment, not including the two i put out in 2016.
2. making CDs or vinyl right now, especially for an album the size of nine Mongolias, is impossible financially, as i’m in debt from recording (and still not quite finished). but physical copies are vital to me. so below is a solution that i hope will solve both problems, and as a bonus, ensure that no one (including me) is crushed under a five-years-in-the-making avalanche of songs.
3. the album will be released initially in two parts, each essentially a full-length album by itself.
4. four new songs will be released on december 17th, on bandcamp exclusively. because i need to release something before this year is over – as a gift to all of you, but also to me. these will be free to listen to and download, but my hope is that they might encourage you to pre-order the album – a pre-sale for part 1 will begin that day too.
5. part 1 will be released on february 9th, 2021, on bandcamp and all major digital platforms.
6. part 2 will be released once i can afford to make CDs of the full album. as soon as i’ve raised enough to start the process (whether it’s from selling my music or finding an abandoned warehouse full of saffron), i’ll announce the release date of part 2.
7. the double CD will reunite part 1 and part 2.
so: december 17th: 4 new songs. february 9th: the release of part 1. shortly thereafter (i hope): the release of part 2, with the reunited full/double album on CD.
(p.s. for twitter users, a recently dusted off, six-years-dormant account (@raisedbyswans6) will function solely as a notification source for new updates posted on my main website as well as on facebook, going forward.)